Brief Description of the Project
ACU undertakes to ensure that all graduates develop the University's core graduate attributes relating to the University’s mission and values, as well as general and specialist knowledge and skills needed for their personal and professional lives. This development is achieved through explicitly teaching and assessing the University's graduate attributes within each course.
In ensuring that our graduates are prepared for a dynamic, disrupted future characterised by volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity, a whole-of-university approach to developing personal and professional attributes to better address these challenges will give graduates a distinctive edge in this dynamic context and allow ACU to project a distinctive identity. Graduates who embody these unique characteristics have the opportunity to contribute to the common good and benefit both the places they work in and the broader community.
In light of this changed world view, a project to review the existing graduate attributes is being led by the Learning and Teaching Centre in 2018. A Working Party of nominated staff from across the university was established in February 2018 to oversee the review. In formulating the revised set of graduate attributes, an extensive consultation process will be undertaken with ACU staff, industry, students and other key stakeholders. The project aims to be completed by the end of 2018 for submission to Academic Board for endorsement.
The high-level objectives of the project are:
- Alignment of the revised Graduate Attributes with the University’s mission, values and current assessment practices
- Ensure that Graduate Attributes align with the new ACU branding ethos of “Impact through Empathy”
- Acceptance by Faculties that the revised Graduate Attributes are fully inclusive of characteristics needed by graduates to work in their professions, and to prepare them for lifelong learning, through the acquisition of both general and specialist knowledge and skills
- Alignment of the Graduate Attributes with Sub Bachelor, Undergraduate and Post-Graduate Qualifications
- Propose a framework and communication strategy for integrating the revised Graduate Attributes into ACU courses.
Hallmark 1: Guarantee the Distinctiveness of the ACU Graduate -
1.1 Ensure that the ACUs’ graduate attributes are embedded in the curriculum.
1.4 Offer courses and majors that ensure ACU graduates are highly employable in the global 21st Century environment.