Meetings you host in Zoom can be recorded. You can record your live classroom session for review later, or you can use Zoom to create videos to use in your LEO units.
Before you begin, ensure you have downloaded and installed the Zoom Client for Meetings, and can log into the application using the Sign in with SSO option.
How to record a meeting
If you need to record your meeting, you can start recording at any time:
- Click the Record button in the lower menu and choosing one of the recording options:
- Record on this Computer: saves the recorded video to your computer
- Record to the Cloud: saves the recorded video to the Zoom online storage
- The meeting will now start recording. When you want to pause or stop the recording, click the Record button again and choose one of these options:
- Recording will be saved and uploaded after you click the End Meeting button (a progress bar will appear).
How to make a video recording using Zoom
The Share Screen option in Zoom can enable you to present and talk to PowerPoint slides, documents and web sites, as well as record your webcam if you wish. This can be useful for sharing information in meetings, but it can also be used as an easy way to make a video to add to your LEO unit.
Before you start a recording, you should have any materials you want to present, such as PowerPoint slides, documents and web pages, open and ready to use on your computer. This will allow you to quickly switch to these materials when recording.
If you're making a recording on your own, your personal meeting room should already exist for you to use immediately:
- In the Zoom app, click the Meetings icon, then click your My Personal Meeting in the list of meetings on the left, and click the Start button:
Your meeting room will launch in Zoom.
- When prompted, click the Join with Computer Audio button.
- Turn on your microphone by clicking the Unmute button. You may also turn on your webcam by clicking the Start Video button, if you wish:
Note: using the arrows next to each of these functions allows you to select from any available microphone and camera inputs.
- To begin sharing your computer screen, click the Share button in the lower menu:
- Select what you'd like to share. You can choose the Screen option, which will record anything you display on your screen, or you can choose a specific application that you already have open (other applications will be hidden).
- You should then see your screen or application you chose, and you will see a menu visible on the page (usually at the top), which will allow you to access the controls for the meeting room.
- When you're ready, begin recording by hovering your mouse over the More button and selecting either the Record on this Computer or Record to the Cloud option (see more information about these options below):
- Your recording will begin immediately and you may start your presentation. You should see this icon in the menu that will indicate that your meeting is being recorded:
- When you're done, click the More button and choose the Stop Recording option:
- Click the Stop Share button in the menu, and then click the End Meeting button after the sharing screen closes.
Where are recordings saved?
Tips for better recordings
A USB headset will allow for much cleaner and clearer sound than a built-in default computer microphone. If you don’t have a headset, you may need to mute your computer speakers to avoid echo or feedback.
Make a test recording and get used to the screen sharing and recording options before you make your final recordings. Find the file and watch it, and make sure that any text is clear enough to be read by viewers.