Cash out your Long Service Leave

long service money 


ACU has Long Service Leave provisions in place which recognise a staff member’s length of service to the University.  ACU staff members are entitled to Long Service Leave after seven years of service - further details on these entitlements are available in the Long Service Leave Policy

Do you have Long Service Leave accrued?

The intention of Long Service Leave is to allow you to balance work and life commitments with periods of rest and recreation.  You are encouraged to take your Long Service Leave once you become eligible, however in certain circumstances you may apply to have excess Long Service Leave paid, rather than taking the leave.  This is called ‘cashing out’ your Long Service Leave.

You may apply to cash out your Long Service Leave under the following circumstances:

  • if you have accrued greater than nine weeks, provided you retain a minimum balance of nine weeks Long Service Leave, or;
  • you can take a period of Long Service Leave and simultaneously cash out an equivalent amount of Long Service Leave.

Please note that where a staff member has accrued greater than 16 weeks of Long Service Leave, the University may provide notice to the staff member to take up to 12 weeks of leave at a time convenient to the University.  Where this occurs, you may wish to consider cashing out this portion, or using a combination of taking some Long Service Leave and cashing out an equivalent amount.

How to apply to cash out Long Service Leave:
  1. Complete a Request for Cashing Out Long Service Leave Form which is available from the Human Resources website.  
  2. Have your completed form approved by your Nominated Supervisor, and then forward it to Human Resources via email to
Check your leave balances

You can check your leave balances at any time by logging into Staff Connect and clicking on My Leave.  Once you are entitled to receive Long Service Leave, your balance will appear on this page.  Your Long Service Leave balance also appears on your payslip. If you require any further information, please contact HR Advisory Service or on extension 4222.

Service Central

Visit Service Central to access Corporate Services.

Other service contacts

Learning and Teaching
Request Something

Make a request for services provided by Corporate Services.

Request something
Knowledge base

Find answers to frequently asked questions 24/7.

See Knowledge Base