1. Receipting

Cash receipting procedures are in place to ensure that all University monies are accurately collected, recorded and banked.

Examples of cash receipts include:-

  • Student residence accommodation charges;
  • Bookshop sales;
  • Facility hire fees;
  • Student loans;
  • Excursion collections;
  • Library fines;
  • Students Association revenue (other than fees).

When an area receives money, a receipt must be issued. This can be done by either:-

  • Taking the monies to the Campus Finance Officer; or
  • Issuing a receipt from an official University manual receipt book. Areas other than Finance that have approval to receipt revenue, can obtain an official University manual receipt book from the Campus Finance Office.

Official University manual receipt books are printed in triplicate and distributed as follows:-

  • White copy to payer;
  • Pink copy to Campus Finance Office with monies for banking; and
  • Yellow copy remains in receipt book.

Official University manual receipt books are pre-numbered and accountable documents and are to be held in a secure place. Any cancelled receipts are to be accounted for and signed off by the staff member’s supervisor.

All monies along with the corresponding pink receipts, are forwarded to the Campus Finance Office for banking. Monies are to be banked on the day of receipt, or as soon as possible thereafter. Monies are to be stored in a secure safe prior to being forwarded to the Campus Finance Office.

2. Cashier

The Cashier is responsible for the collection and receipting of University revenue.

The operating hours and location of cashiers on each campus are available by contacting Finance on ext. 2928.

3. Invoicing


An invoice is raised to recover monies from external organisations in return for goods or services which have been provided by the University.

Examples of Invoices

Invoices are raised for a wide variety of goods and services including:-

  • Hire of facilities and equipment (eg: student residences, lecture theatres, chapels)
  • Research grants awarded for specific projects
  • Consulting services
  • Library fines
  • Non-compulsory field trips
  • Student Loans
  • Recovery of salaries from other organisations
  • Rental of Premises

Raising an Invoice

When goods or services have been provided on credit, an Invoice Request is completed to enable a University invoice to be sent to the client Debtor. To raise the Invoice request, please navigate to the TechOne login and log in AR Requisitioner workplace.

An official University invoice will be raised and recorded in the Financial Management System Technology One, thereby allocating income to the project code indicated in the invoice request. Finance will be responsible for follow up of outstanding invoices. Should Finance encounter difficulty in recovering a debt, the area that requested the invoice may be called upon for assistance. Should this be unsuccessful the University will consider legal action or write back the debt. Any write back will result in a correction of the original in come entry back to the originating project code.

Any debt that is to be written back must comply with the Financial Delegations policy.

4. Income Levies

Academic Consultancies

Academic Consultancy revenue (net of GST if applicable) is apportioned between the school (70%), faculty (15%) and University overheads (15%). However, a Faculty may choose to forgo its portion of the income.

Page last updated on 22/02/2021

Service Central

Visit Service Central to access Corporate Services.

Other service contacts

Learning and Teaching
Request Something

Make a request for services provided by Corporate Services.

Request something
Knowledge base

Find answers to frequently asked questions 24/7.

See Knowledge Base