The National Security Centre, with the assistance of trained evacuation wardens, look after emergency procedures on campus.
Please familiarise yourself with campus evacuation procedures and how to operate firefighting and emergency evacuation equipment.
Order to evacuate
If you are required to evacuate please:
- leave the area immediately as directed
- stay calm
- leave your personal belongings
- shut down any machinery
- close, but do not lock, all windows/doors
- do not use elevators
- proceed to exit points as directed by the wardens
- keep to the left in a single file on all stairways
- stay quiet
- move to your designated assembly area via exits as directed by the wardens
- do not return to the building.
A general statement outlining Fire and Evacuation Procedure is attached to the wall in all lecture rooms. Evacuation posters are placed in all areas of the campus which provide information on your location, routes out of the building, assembly areas, and potential danger.
A siren will sound if there is an emergency on campus. There are two types of alarm:
|SoundBeep, beep, beep, beep
|ActionPrepare for possible evacuation and wait for instructions from your warden. Do not evacuate until instructed.
|SoundWhoop, whoop, whoop, whoop
|ActionEvacuate now and move to your designated assembly area under instruction from the warden.
You must remain at the assembly area until a warden or other authority advises you further.
Please note you may be asked to evacuate by a warden even if there is no alarm.