- avoid inadvertent plagiarism
- prevent copyright issues from excessive use of your own or others’ text
- comply with the Australian Code for Responsible Conduct of Research (2007)
- develop personal judgment about acceptable practices of academic integrity.
- match diagrams and tables
- match images.
iThenticate does not save a copy of any file which is scanned to a database of sources (unlike Turnitin, similar software used in undergraduate teaching). It protects intellectual property while allowing researchers to identify errors in citation and attribution.