How to get help with LEO
- See the full list of LEO help available from this link.
- Moodle's online documentation for technical information and some pedagogical advice on managing your units.
- LEO Support for telephone or email-based LEO technical support.
- ACU IT Service Portal for help with Lecture Capture (Echo 360) and desktop software (such as Excel or Photoshop).
- Faculties-based help and support.
- eLearning 101 web page for regular interactive webinars on a range of technology enhanced learning topics. The recordings of previous webinars can also be accessed from this link.
- LEO professional development workshops for information on a series of face-to-face workshops before the start of semester one.
- Feedback form or email eLearning.LTC@acu.edu.au directly to request a workshop for five or more participants.
- Learning and Teaching website or the Learning and Teaching Contacts page for learning and teaching help that is not directly technology related (such as assessment, curriculum, evaluation or awards).
The Activity Completion settings allows you to:
- Assign completion criteria to activities and resources in your unit.
- Determine who has completed unit requirements using the completions report.
- Define which activities contribute towards overall completion of the unit.
This also allows your students to:
- Track their progress through a sequence of learning materials or activities.
- Receive an overall unit completion status by completing required activities.
- View their progress in the LEO Dashboard and inside their unit.
Use activity completion in conjunction with the restrict access settings when you want to ensure that access to resources or activities is dependent on students viewing or completing other activities in the unit.
Use activity completion in conjunction with unit completion to define which activities count towards the completion of the overall unit.
How to enable Completion Tracking in your unit
Before you can access the Activity Completion settings, Completion Tracking must be enabled in your unit settings:
- On the home page of your LEO unit, choose 'Edit Settings' from the Administration menu.
- In the Completion Tracking section of the settings, choose 'Yes' from the dropdown menu.
- Click the 'Save and display' button to save your changes.
You will see several new options when Completion Tracking is enabled in your unit:
- Unit Completion settings link the Administration menu.
- Activity Completion report available under the Reports section of the Administration menu.
- Individual activity completion settings for each individual activity and resource in your unit (see below).
Important note: When creating new units, completion tracking is turned off by default. However, if you create a copy of a previous unit or template, it may already be turned on, and this setting will automatically transfer to the new unit.
How to add the Unit Completions block
This block can be useful to give students a quick overview of how they are progressing in the unit.
- Click the 'Turn Editing On' button in your LEO unit.
- From the Add a Block dropdown menu select 'Unit completion status'.
- Reposition the block on the unit page. If activity completion is important in your unit, consider moving it to the top.
How to set individual activity completion settings
When completion tracking is enabled at a unit level, a new section of unique settings will be available for each activity and resource in your unit:
Edit the settings for any activity or resource in your unit and customise this Activity completion section to determine how that particular activity or resources is marked as complete. You can select your preferred method of completion tracking:
- Students must manually mark the activity as complete: The student can check a box on the unit page to mark the activity as complete. By default, all activities and resources are self-completed.
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met: The student must meet the conditions you set here. Depending on whether the activity includes an assessment component, some or all of the conditions may be available for you to choose from.
- Do not indicate activity is complete: Use this setting if you do not want the activity to be tracked.
Each learning resource and activity type can have its own unique completion settings depending on what it is and what it does. You can use a variety of completion requirements in your unit, such as:
- An assignment requiring a grade before it is complete.
- A forum requiring a student make a post or a reply.
- A glossary requiring the student create an entry.
- A reading resource requiring it be viewed (opened) by the student.
Important note: if completion tracking is enabled in a unit that already has many activities or resources in it, you will have to individually check each one to customise their tracking requirements.
Manual completion versus Conditional completion
When an activity is set as Conditional ("show activity as complete when conditions are met), students must meet the requirements before that activity is complete. With the Manual completion option ("students must manually mark the activity as complete"), students must click the checkbox themselves to complete it.
For example, the two activities in the image below each have a checkbox indicating completion. The Video Assignment activity requires the student to achieve a passing grade to complete it (it shows a dotted line, indicating it cannot be manually checked). The Week 1 Lesson Activity requires the student tick the checkbox when they've finished it, after which it will be shown as complete with a tick :
Activity Completion version Unit Completion
The number of activities that are tracked in a unit and activities required to complete that unit can be different, and as such are displayed differently in LEO.
Total Activity Completion - If you, for example, have four activities in your unit that have tracking enabled, each of these activities will equally contribute 25% of total activity completion shown on the My Units page (see image right where one activity has been completed). If the student achieves a Unit Completion status by satisfying the requirements you set in the Unit Completion settings, this image will always show 100% regardless of all other unit activities.
Total Unit Completion - If you, for example, set two of these four activities to count towards unit completion, only those two activities will contribute to unit completion status (see image right of progress in unit completion block). This may be useful for cases where some activities are formative and others are summative and you wish to count only the assessment activities as required for Unit Completion status.
Note: for simplicity, it may be best to just make all individual activities require completion in order to achieve unit completion, so that these two measures are aligned, and it does not confuse the students.
When setting Unit Completion requirements, there are a large number of options you can choose from. However, in most cases, you can simply require the summative activities to count towards the successful completion of the unit.
Simple example of unit completion settings
In this example, we will set two (2) of the four (4) activities in the unit to count towards unit completion. All required activities must be complete to achieve unit completion:
- Navigate to your unit in LEO and click the 'Unit completion' link in the Administration menu. If you do not see this link, you must first edit your unit settings and enable Completion Tracking.
- Under the General heading, ensure 'Unit is complete when all conditions are met' is selected.
- Under the Condition: Activity Completion heading, check the boxes for the activities that you wish to count towards Unit Completion:
- Ensure the Condition requires option is set to 'ALL selected activities to be completed'.
- Click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom of the page to finish.
Unit "complete" status
When a student has completed the activities required for unit completion, they will see their completion status in the Unit Completion Status block as Complete.
The student can click the 'More details' link to see an overview of the activities they've completed that count towards unit completion.
When a unit is classified as "complete", it moves from the "In Progress" section of the Dashboard to the "Past" section.
Important note: Activity Completions data is updated every hour in LEO, meaning that if a student completes the required activities, it may be an hour before the "complete" status appears in LEO.
The Activity Completion Report is a very useful report that is only available to access when activity tracking is enabled in your unit.
This report enables you to quickly see what activities all the students in your unit have completed in a spreadsheet, and allows you to complete activities on behalf of the students if you need to.
- Navigate to your unit in LEO, then click the 'Activity completion' link under the Reports heading in the Administration menu.
The Activity Report will show all your tracked activities in columns, and your students in rows, with completed activities marked with a tick, as in this example:
- Filter the list of participants by choosing a Group, or using the First Name and Last Name search options, if you wish.
- You can also export the report by clicking one the Download buttons (CSV or Excel format) at the bottom of the page.
Completing an activity on behalf of a student
If you need to complete (or reset) an activity on behalf of a student, you can simply click the checkbox on the report that corresponds to that student and that activity. This can be useful if you've set a particular activity to be manually completed by yourself or other lecturers in your unit, or if a student is unable to do it themselves for any reason.
When you click a box to check or uncheck it, you will need to confirm overriding the completion status of the activity for that student.
Page last updated: 2019-08-08
Short url: https://staff.acu.edu.au/2322627